Wednesday, July 25, 2012

that's the way to live...

cliffs at the river.  [photo credit: kenny b]


"happy. just in my swim shorts, barefooted, wild-haired, in the red fire dark, singing, swigging wine, spitting, jumping, running- that's the way to live. 
all alone by the sigh of the sea out there" 
jack kerouac


i love people who can remind me to remember this. kenny b. case in point. my cousin who comes in last minute on spontaneous adventure trips to visit me in the city. gives the best hug at the pick-up line at the airport. and lives the way he lives and wants to share in the living. he gets you to remember the simple, free adventure that is in creating every moment of the day. 

impromptu workouts at the farmer's market after picking up our csa. my arms were literally on fire. no gym, no machine, no weights. just good old fashioned work. 

playing down at the cliffs at the mississippi. like little kids trying to do tricks and crazy yoga things with our bodies. 

talking. real conversation. in the sculpture gardens at night with the skyline doing it's thing.

i love people who remind me of these things. so kerouac, you nailed this so so so spot on...
but maybe my way to live isn't 'all alone by the sigh of the sea'..... i want to listen to the sea, play in it, swim in it, adventure along it's coasts with my people. not alone. i don't dig alone when there is carefree, summer adventures that are out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment